Pediatric Urology in Tampa, Florida
If your child is suffering from a urologic condition, you need an expert care center with specialists who have extensive experience in pediatric urology. At St. Joseph's Children's Hospital, you will find an experienced and compassionate team, dedicated to helping your child through treatment and recovery.
Perhaps you have tried nonsurgical methods to treat your child's urologic condition, without success. If surgery is necessary, your child may be a candidate for a robotic surgical procedure. We are the only hospital in the Tampa Bay area offering robotic-assisted urologic procedures for children.
Robotic Surgery: Pediatric Urologic Conditions We Treat
Our fellowship-trained surgeons treat many pediatric urologic conditions including:
- Ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction: a blockage in the area that connects the kidneys to the ureters (the tubes that move urine to the bladder)
- Kidney disease including kidney cancer
- Vesicoureteral reflux: a bladder abnormality that causes urine to flow back toward the kidney
- Advanced urologic reconstructive procedures
Robotic Procedures We Perform
At St. Joseph’s Hospitals, our expert surgeon is highly experienced in performing these complex urologic procedures. Pediatric urologic surgeries we perform include:
- Urinary Obstruction (Pyeloplasty): If your child has a urinary obstruction, your doctor may recommend robotic surgery to treat it. A pyeloplasty removes the blockage in the urinary system. During the surgery, the surgeon reattaches the healthy part of the kidney to the healthy part of the ureter.
- Full and Partial Nephrectomy: If your child suffers from a blockage of the ureters or from kidney cancer, your doctor may recommend a nephrectomy to remove part or all of the kidney. The da Vinci® Surgical System for kidney procedures combines the expertise and techniques of an open procedure with a robotic-assisted, minimally invasive approach.
- Ureteral Reimplantation
Your surgeon may recommend ureteral reimplantation surgery to treat vesicoureteral reflux. This condition occurs when an abnormally positioned ureter allows urine to flow back toward the kidney, instead of entering the bladder. Vesicoureteral reflux can lead to kidney damage and even kidney failure. During ureteral reimplantation surgery, your surgeon repositions, or reimplants the ureter. This prevents the urine from backing up.
- Reconstructive Surgery
Our expert surgeons perform complex urologic reconstructive procedures. Your child may require surgical reconstruction of the kidney or bladder, perhaps due to a condition that developed even before birth.
Our medical team will explain in detail about the procedure, and will take the time to answer any questions you or your child may have. You can feel confident knowing you chose a compassionate care center with the expertise and experience you and your child need. Our goal is to get your child back to doing the activities he or she loves, pain-free.
Schedule an appointment: (813) 874-7500
Search for more pediatric services.