What is it?
The most advanced MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) technology is the new 3T MRI system available at several BayCare Imaging locations. Officially called the MAGNETOM Trio™ from Siemens Medical Solutions, the 3T MRI eliminates the need for patient repositioning during a MRI, provides even greater enhanced image quality, and opens new doors to applications, including abdominal, cardiac, spine, orthopedic and whole-body scanning.
What is it for?
A 3T MRI is more 33% expansive and larger than typical MRI machines. It can help with anxiety, nervousness, apprehension and claustrophobia associated with MRI scans.
It also reduces scan time because there is no need for repositioning and the whole body is scanned.
The 3T MRI is comfortable for all body types and sizes.
How to prepare
- Discuss your medical history, health problems and allergies with your health care provider
- You will be given instructions about eating and drinking prior to the exam
- There is little risk associated with an MRI as the strong magnetic field is not considered harmful
- There is a slight risk of an allergic reaction if contrast material is used
What happens during?
- You may receive some sedation medication to help calm you
- You may feel slightly warm
- You’ll be asked to remain as still and motionless as possible
- You’ll know when images are being created from a thumping or tapping sound you’ll hear
- You’ll have contact with your technologist at all times
What happens after?
- Unless you were sedated, there is no recovery period needed
- You can resume normal activities and diet following the exam
- On rare occasions, pain and nausea is experienced. This is usually from allergies to contrast material. Hives, itchy eyes and other reactions could also happen from contrast material allergies.