St. Joseph’s Hospital-North Doubles Capacity in 10th Year
Lutz, Fla., March 2, 2020 — St. Joseph’s Hospital-North opened on February 15, 2010. Coinciding with the hospital’s 10th anniversary is the completion of a $75 million expansion that doubled the hospital’s capacity and brought additional services.
There are two new hospital floors, each with 54 patient rooms, adding 108 total new beds. Prior to the expansion, St. Joseph’s Hospital-North had 108 beds. The hospital now has 216 beds.
Other expansion details:
- Adding four operating suites for a total of eight
- Increasing intensive care unit (ICU) beds from 12 to 24
- Opening an additional gastrointestinal endoscopy suite
- Increasing areas for respiratory and physical therapy
- A new infusion center that can treat up to 15 patients at one time. The infusion center relocated on campus to accommodate growth and improve patient convenience.
When St. Joseph’s Hospital-North opened in 2010, it was the first new hospital in Hillsborough County in 30 years. Before St. Joseph's Hospital-North opened, many residents drove longer distances to the nearest hospital.
St. Joseph’s Hospital-North provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical services in 20 specialties including breast health, cardiology, interventional cardiology, interventional radiology, gastroenterology, obstetrics and robotic surgery.
The hospital is also well-known locally for its Twigs Café. Led by executive chef Paul Finocchi, Twigs is popular dining spot for community members in addition to hospital visitors.
“St. Joseph’s Hospital-North is an integral part of the Lutz community and has grown along with Hillsborough and Pasco counties,” said Paula McGuiness, president of St. Joseph’s Hospital-North. “The area has embraced us and we are grateful for those who choose us for their health care needs. We’re excited to see what the next 10 years will bring as we continue our mission to improve the health of this community.”
Growth at St. Joseph’s Hospital-North since 2010
- 2,918 discharges in 2010, 4,831 discharges in 2011 (first full calendar year), 8,279 discharges in 2019
- 188 physicians with hospital privileges in 2010, more than 350 physicians with privileges in 2020
- Two hospitalists on opening day 2010, 15 hospitalists currently. Hospitalists are doctors based in St. Joseph’s Hospital-North and provide specialized care to hospitalized patients.
- 476 team members in 2010, 820 team members in 2020
- 19,333 volunteer hours in 2010, 30,128 volunteer hours in 2019. There are currently nine volunteers from opening day 2010 still volunteering in 2020. St. Joseph’s Hospital-North has 140 active adult volunteers.
- Emergency medicine providers have doubled since 2010
- $331,000 in hospital donations from hospital auxiliary/gift shop sales since 2013, the first year donations began after initial startup costs
Total St. Joseph’s Hospital-North statistics, 2010-2019
- 6, 944 cardiac procedures
- 380,061 ER visits
- 61,137 admissions
- 31,300 surgeries
- 3,923 babies delivered
St. Joseph’s Hospital-North statistics, 2019
- 404 births
- 4,467 outpatient surgeries
- 42,869 emergency room visits
- 463,414 lab tests
About BayCare Health System
BayCare is a leading not-for-profit health care system that connects individuals and families to a wide range of services at 15 hospitals and hundreds of other convenient locations throughout the Tampa Bay and central Florida regions. Inpatient and outpatient services include acute care, primary care, imaging, laboratory, behavioral health, home care, and wellness. Our mission is to improve the health of all we serve through community-owned, health care services that set the standard for high-quality, compassionate care. For more information, visit BayCare.org.