Have a Healthy First Birthday
It’s almost time to start planning a first birthday party—how exciting! What’s not so exciting? Dreading the inevitable sugar crashes and temper tantrums that follow a day filled with cake and ice cream. Not to worry, though, because we’re here with some tasty ideas for lower-sugar, healthier menu items for your baby’s big day!
Instead of chips and dip, consider these healthier snack ideas:
- Tea sandwiches with cheese, deli meat, mashed avocado or any other fillings—just cut off the crust, and cut into four equal squares
- Fresh fruit and veggies with dips
- Cheese cubes and crackers, especially those shaped like goldfish or animals
- Applesauce and/or yogurt cups
Keep in mind that you should avoid common choking hazards like nuts, popcorn, whole grapes, sliced hotdogs, hard candy and marshmallows.
Little ones don’t need juice, and they certainly don’t need soda or other sugary beverages. Instead, offer plain and sparkling water, and if you’re feeling extra fancy, provide flavoring options like lemon, lime and fresh herbs.
Sure, you may want a regular homemade or bakery cake for the centerpiece, but given that baby’s cake will be going directly into that tiny mouth and tiny belly, you may want to look for a healthier alternative. You can find lots and lots of recipes online that use natural sweetening power, for example:
- Applesauce (even cinnamon applesauce for a spice cake!)
- Real maple syrup
- Raisins and dates
- Honey (not for younger babies)
Any way you slice it, a healthier menu makes for healthier (and happier!) partygoers and lessens the risk of tummy aches and grumpy sugar crashes afterward.